Business Development Manager, Student Lending
CommonBond is a financial technology company on a mission to give students and graduates more affordable, transparent, and simple ways to pay for higher education. We’re people just like you who were frustrated by the high rates, confusing process, and poor service that came with our student loans. We knew there had to be a better way. So we created one.
Over 40 million Americans are affected by student loan debt – and we’re helping them meet that challenge head on. We're tackling the student debt crisis by offering new loans to current students, refinance loans to college graduates, and a suite of student loan repayment benefits to employees through our CommonBond for Business program.
By designing a better experience that combines advanced technology with competitive rates and award-winning customer service, we've funded over $2 billion in loans for tens of thousands of members, and helped over 250 companies give their employees the tools they need to achieve financial wellness. Finally, we're proud to be the first and only finance company with a "one-for-one" social mission: for every loan we fund, we also fund the education of a child in need, through our partnership with Pencils of Promise. Want more good news? We’re hiring! So join our team, and join the movement, as we continue to build a better future for student debt in America.
CommonBond is building the leading values-driven, customer-centric financial services company and is looking for people who want to help our company grow. Our mission starts by tackling the broken student lending market and changing the way people think about student loans. We accomplish this with lower interest rates for our borrowers, a state-of-the art technology platform, and high-touch customer service. Additionally, our 1-for-1 model is the first of its kind in financial services: for every degree fully funded on the CommonBond platform, we fund the education of a child in need for a full year through a partnership with Pencils of Promise. We are backed by great investors, have a killer team, and are growing rapidly!
This is a unique opportunity to use both analytical and relationship development skills as you identify potential business by defining and analyzing the market and creatively proposing new partnerships.
- Prospecting: identifying key decision makers at target accounts and cold calling/emailing to make contact
- Working with a variety of different potential partners: any company that impacts students (i.e. financial institutions, academic institutions, etc.)
- Introductory Qualifying Calls: determining fit and interest level
- Product Demonstrations: showcasing and creating differentiation with competitors
- Negotiations: crafting and closing deals
- Minimum of 3+ years of business-to-business sales experience required which includes some level of face-to-face selling
- Background selling to senior level HR and Benefits leaders is a plus but not required
- Strong prospecting/hunting skills
- Ability to demonstrate disciplined sales habits, strong follow up, and pipeline management.
- A fast learner. A strong initiative. A will to win. Closing deals puts you on top of the world.
- Ability to maintain consistently high levels of sales activity without management intervention; extraordinary personal discipline
- Active listener with a consultative approach to understanding client needs
- High interpersonal skills – you’re equally at home hopping on the phone with a new potential partner, meeting them in person, or following up on a previous lead
- You are confident, well-spoken, outgoing, and professional Roll-up- your-sleeves mentality – we’re a small team, everyone including our executive team gets their hands dirty to get stuff done
- Expert multi-tasking – you’ll be going after multiple opportunities every hour of every day. You will remain undaunted, organized and juggle these tasks without letting the ball drop
- Professional but not stuffy – we’re sharp and competent but also fun
- Great teammate – You enjoy working as part of a team, you want to be relied upon and you understand that outcomes are a result of a lot of people contributing
- Sense of urgency – you want to “go, move, make things happen, and shake things up!”
- Supreme ability to organize yourself, your tasks, and manage your time