Director, Business Development
Foursquare makes apps that help people keep up and meet up with friends, and discover great places. Swarm is for people who want the fastest and easiest way to connect with their friends. The Foursquare app is for explorers who want to know about the best spots, and to share what they’ve found with others.
Whether you're setting off on a trip around the world, coordinating a night out with friends, or trying to pick out the best dish at your local restaurant, Foursquare is the perfect companion.
U.S. offices New York City, San Francisco, Chicago
International offices London
Foursquare is seeking a proven business development manager to help build relationships across various industries, negotiate and close data and technology-related strategic partnerships, and become a key member of the Foursquare team. In the past six months, you may have read about how Foursquare unbundled its apps, launched Swarm and released the new Foursquare that learns what you like and leads you to the places you’ll love. But did you know that Foursquare has an open location platform that has been accessed by over 65,000 developers and is relied upon by many large enterprises and apps that live on millions of mobile homescreens? In fact, Foursquare has secured many millions of dollars in data licensing contracts with a growing number of customers, ranging from world class tech brands to consumer product companies and marketing companies. These companies are using our places database, our location technologies, our real-time feeds and other data products to solve large-scale business problems.
Foursquare’s location platform and services allow solo developers and global enterprises alike to build precise geo-context to their native experiences and solve specific business problems. Foursquare’s well-known consumer apps are built on top of the same powerful location services that are now used by the likes of Pinterest, Microsoft, HTC, Samsung, Yahoo, Waze, and many others. In this role, you will become an expert in location services and the mobile industry and help the world’s largest consumer tech companies and top brands bring more robust and precise location context into their products.
You will need to deeply understand Foursquare’s burgeoning data business in order to create elegant solutions for a wide variety of partners facing unique challenges. The ideal candidate has experience building and managing a large pipeline of partner relationships and structuring deals that help grow both our partners’ business and our own. Candidates must have experience in closing large-scale deals with complex terms and long cycle times. In summary, you are a sales hunter: you can close lucrative contracts.
This role will be based in New York City and will require extensive travel.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with C-level and senior executives from various industries including leading financial services, real estate and enterprise firms.
- Establish partnerships that effectively drive significant contributions to Foursquare's revenue and user growth through licensing of Foursquare data
- Lead the partnership and deal process, managing each step from strategy/planning, pipeline development, prospecting, outreach, terms negotiation, contract drafting and negotiation, and implementation
- Understand the full scope of Foursquare’s mission and be able to reflect those ambitions into deal terms
- Evaluate new initiatives, opportunities and deals for strategic alignment
- Develop strong relationships across the Foursquare organization, including the business, legal, product, marketing and engineering organizations
- Represent Foursquare as a spokesperson and evangelist at industry events in the US and abroad
- Extensive travel
- Successful track record as a business development leader at a leading mobile, web, or related company
- The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of relevant business development and deal-making experience.
- Tell us about your history of closing large-scale enterprise contracts.
- Deep familiarity with Foursquare’s consumer Internet and mobile products
- Familiarity with the technical side of data and API-based partnerships and integrations
- Direct experience with data and API-based partnerships and integrations
- Outstanding communication skills in all forms: written, presentations, negotiations
- Relentless perseverance through long and complex strategic deal cycles
- Experience with showing consistent and large-scale results
- Strong network of close industry contacts across startups and larger enterprises
- Ability to identify, target and close appropriate data partnerships across a variety of industry verticals.
- Base Salary: $150,000 - $170,000
- On Target Earnings: $250,000 - $300,000 (Uncapped)
- Stock Options Available