Business Development Manager, Corporate Markets
GLG (Gerson Lehrman Group, Inc.) is the world’s leading platform for professional learning. Business leaders, investors, consultants, social entrepreneurs, and other top professionals rely on GLG to learn in short- and long-term engagements from a membership of more than 600,000 experts. Clients partner with GLG to address their most complex strategic challenges, make better business decisions, and advance their careers through conversations, mentorships, small group convenings, surveys, and other interactions—all within a rigorous compliance framework. Global, technology-driven, and nimble, GLG’s 1,500 employees work in 22 offices in 12 countries.
The role of the Business Development Manager is to accelerate sales to expand the firm’s user base and offerings within large and mid-cap clients. This person will be responsible for specific bookings and gross margin targets, among other key performance indicators.
This is an exceptional opportunity for someone who is entrepreneurial and wants to build a business with a best-in-class management team, many of whom have worked in leading management consultancies, investment banks and operating companies.
This candidate will also have an opportunity to work with senior leaders across both the internal organization and within their clients, including developing partnerships with SVPs, EVPs and CXOs of large operating companies.
The candidate will report to a Vice President and work closely with other members of senior management. They need to be able to thrive in a fast paced, energetic and rapidly shifting environment. He/she will also need to have the drive and desire to build the top performing sales team at the firm.
- Drive Commercial Success: The successful candidate will leverage his/her own professional network to build new relationships at operating companies and engage at a granular level with industry executives on topics of critical importance to their businesses. The candidate will meet with senior level prospects and clients regularly to articulate the firm’s value proposition, especially with respect to new technologies and product development, sales and marketing practices, end-market intelligence and other relevant topics.
- Strategic Vision and Product Expansion: The successful candidate will continually enhance customer targeting, segmentation and outreach while refining the firm’s value proposition across various segments. The candidate will further develop the firm’s service offering and explore opportunities for new product and channel development. This person will continually assess industry trends, the marketplace, competitive behaviors, customer preferences, and best practices.
- Team Building and Collaborative Learning: The candidate will engage regularly with sales, account management and research colleagues to co-develop client-specific value propositions, communicate industry-specific insights across the team, and provide mentorship to teammates as they develop. The candidate will help to recruit market-leading talent to the firm, develop those professionals through teaching in the apprenticeship model, and retain those individuals through meaningful professional experiences.
- 2-3 years of sales experience, preferably at leading information or professional services firm.
- Desire to drive a new sales process and rapidly grow market share.
- Executive presence, the ability to interact with senior professionals at Fortune 500 Companies.
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative work environment.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- The highest level of integrity and professionalism.