Business Development Manager
Headquartered in the United States with locations in Boston, Israel, Mexico, Rhode Island, Switzerland, and Texas – and with vertical programs in digital health and fintech – MassChallenge is committed to strengthening the global innovation ecosystem by accelerating high-potential startups across all industries, from anywhere in the world.
MassChallenge seeks an experienced business development person to serve as a Business Development Manager on our sales and account management team. This team is charged with securing new revenue through multi-year and/or multi-MassChallenge program engagements. In a company where we aim to put our community first, we are looking for someone to identify new opportunities for MassChallenge to collaborate with Fortune 1000 corporate and foundation partners. Funding for MassChallenge is provided by governments, corporations, foundations, and philanthropists. This role will specifically target partnerships with companies in the public and private sector who are passionate about bringing innovation into their organizations.
Based in Boston, MA and reporting to the Vice President of Corporate Development on our HQ Partnerships Team, the Business Development Manager will create and qualify new partner opportunities and own lead generation. They will identify and build relationships with corporate and foundation partners to engage in MassChallenge’s innovation ecosystem. This person will identify and cultivate leads, follow our proven prospecting process, and help drive team success by qualifying potential corporate prospects.
Our ideal candidate wants to leverage their demonstrated lead generation experience in a mission-driven, startup-oriented company and position themselves for meaningful professional development. They will bring a dynamic style and outcome-oriented approach to sales and will be passionate about the startup community. In keeping with MassChallenge’s values, the Business Development Manager will have the opportunity to interact with MassChallenge startups and alumni regularly to help create value for our sponsors and partners in the community.
- Identify, qualify, and generate new corporate partner leads to drive revenue for MassChallenge programs. You’ll research and qualify 20 - - -leads per week or about 4 leads per day.
- Serve as the first point of contact for all outbound and inbound new partnership opportunities.
- Schedule 30-minute exploratory phone calls between new prospects and the MassChallenge Partnerships Team and participate in those calls.
- Identify key buying influencers in corporate and foundation prospects to determine key needs, budget, and timeline.
- Cultivate prospect relationships and drive action to move opportunities through the lead portion of the sales funnel and pass off for close.
- Work with Managing Directors and Program Directors to develop and grow the sales pipeline to meet quarterly and annual revenue goals.
- Manage data for prospective clients in Salesforce to ensure accurate information, logged communications and also maintain forecasting projections.
- Build credibility and long-term relationships in the corporate innovation and startup community by attending events and using social media channels to source leads and identify potential growth opportunities.
- You have a bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of experience in business development, lead generation and sales
- Your default setting on the enthusiasm dial is an 11
- Your written, spoken, and in-person communication skills are top notch
- Your work experience proves you’re among the very best business development representatives
- You have a track record of consistently meeting or exceeding KPIs
- You’re passionate about startups and understand the entrepreneurial mindset
- When you hear “If it’s humanly possible, we will get it done” you get excited
- You have experience with CRM software including Salesforce
- You are familiar with Microsoft Excel for analyzing spreadsheets