Director of Business Development
Oyster is the leading streaming service for books. For just $9.95 a month, readers can enjoy as many books as they want—everything from New York Times Best Sellers and Oprah’s picks, to children’s titles and more.
With over half a million titles and new books arriving every day, it’s never been easier to find a story to dive into. Readers can browse and discover on their own, or get expert recommendations from our editorial team. Over time, Oyster gets to know what readers like, and recommends books based on their reading habits and tastes.
Oyster is available for Apple iOS, Android, Nook HD, and Kindle Fire, as well as on the web. Launched in 2013, Oyster is headquartered in New York City.
Partnerships are a key part of Oyster's growth plan. These partnerships include brand awareness opportunities, as well as distribution deals that result in direct acquisition. They range from large established media companies to technology start-ups. We are looking for an execution-focused Director of Business Development to identify and implement partnerships that will drive significant growth of the Oyster subscriber base. In this position, you will play a large role in scaling the business strategy and growth plan of the company.
- Work with the leadership team to set strategy about how to grow the business through partnerships, and develop a framework for evaluating the impact of new partnerships.
- Lead the entire lifecycle of a partnership from identification and prioritization, to idea generation, proposal, negotiation, and closing of the deal.
- Identify and track all deliverables post-signing to ensure a great outcome for all parties.
- Filter inbound partnership requests both qualitatively and quantitatively for brand fit and ability to drive new subscribers.
- Define and track key metrics to determine the success of each partnership. Use these metrics to guide resource allocation in the future.
- Collaborate with the engineering team where necessary to execute a partnership.
- At least five years of experience in business development or sales.
- A proven track record of closing deals that drive business value.
- Ability to prioritize a potential partner list, and understand after an initial meeting which partners are worth pursuing versus not.
- Entrepreneurial experience.
- Persistence and close attention to detail. You never drop the ball, and always take a project through the finish line.
- Full medical and dental insurance
- Competitive salary and generous equity in Oyster
- Computer setup with whatever specifications you want
- Flexible vacation policy (we don't count days)
- A relocation bonus for full-time hires